Friday, March 19, 2010

Chinese Brand Sniping

So I'm sure you've all heard of this phenomenon before, either from me or the media, but I just want to reiterate that the idea of a trademark or intellectual property is almost non-existent over here.
That being said I was walking to lunch one day a couple weeks ago and I saw this logo on a car parked in the lot.

Bold and daring.
 
If it looks familiar to you that's because it should.  Whether it's because most of us watched rap music videos on TRL in middle school or because the brand is so synonymous with wealth the Bentley logo is instantly recognizable;see below.

Classic
 
And if that weren't enough the Chinese company has even gone to the lengths of naming their brand "Riich."  What a shameless play at materialism.  The ironic thing though is that the car I saw this logo on looked like this one below, but yellow-greenish.

Hardly the ideal of wealth and fortune.
 
A dinky little two door sedan that looked more in company with a Volkswagen Bug of the 70's than a Bentley.

That is the kind of car I would have someone else drive for me.
 
You be the judge.  Next up Oreo's.

No comments:

Post a Comment